With the news of abortion coming up on the newspapers everyday, I feel the need the importance and the need for Christians to explore this issue and be ready to help or offer answer for anyone that is confused, helpless or maybe stuck or hold incorrect opinions about this issue.
You may post any information that might be of help for the community in understanding the issue of abortion better
I am trying to think about what are the possible reasons for abortion. I am sure that women who go through abortion goes through a lot of emotional struggles in heart.
I was trying to find out what are some of the reasons why women abort? The opinion of the majority is that women abort the baby because they do not what the world to know about their secret sexual relationship or due to unintended pregnancy.
But in a research conducted by three people group from the Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health, University of California, San Francisco, Oakland, California, USA, the results are interesting. The survey didnot have closed byt open ended questions.
- Not financially prepared: 40 percent
- Bad timing, not ready, or unplanned: 36 percent
- Partner-related reasons (including the relationship is bad or new, she doesn’t want to be a single mother, her partner is not supportive, does not want the baby, is abusive, or is the wrong guy): 31 percent
- Need to focus on her other children: 29 percent
- Not emotionally or mentally prepared: 19 percent
- Interferes with educational or vocational plans: 20 percent
- Health-related reasons (includes concern for her own health, the health of the fetus, use of prescription or non-prescription drugs, alcohol, or tobacco): 12 percent
- Want a better life for a baby than she could provide: 12 percent
- Not independent or mature enough for a baby: 7 percent
- Influences from family or friends: 5 percent
- Doesn’t want a baby or to place the baby for adoption: 4 percent
A survey in 2004 gave different results
Having a baby would dramatically change my life
I have completed my childbearing
Don’t want people to know I had sex or got pregnant
It is also interesting to point out that most women cite two to four reasons for abortion, not just one. In general, younger women often cite that they are unprepared for the transition to motherhood, and older women consistently indicate that they are already responsible for children and/or are past the childbearing stage in their lives.
What do you think are some of the reasons for Abortion? Do you have any answers supported by scriptures or preachers to offer for any of those problems? You may post your personal opinions as well.
To think: What does the reasons for abortion makes you think about sexuality in today’s world? Do you think today’s world has desacralized sexual relaitonships? What effects does this have in today’s culture as a whole?