Is gender based on biology or roles and personality?

lifestyle
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd50f11dc30>
Is gender based on biology or roles and personality?

There are a lot of gender discussions going on today. What do you guys think about this topic?

Is gender based on biology or is it based on roles and personality?

For instance I am girl but I may not be interested in girly stuff but into riding motorbikes and other stuffs that guys usually do. Does this personality trait define my gender?

A while back, people started asking why we had such strict “definitions” culturally for what was considered “feminine” and what was considered “masculine” in behavior, interests, dress, etc.

The push at that time was that we stop being so rigid. As you shared, you are not necessarily interested in the “so-called” girly stuff but into things that guys usually do.

I am like you, but maybe not as diverse. I have never been what I consider to be a “girly girl”. But that does not take away my right to be seen as fully female as those who are girly girls.

This is where we might have been wiser to stop. But, because we are in a fallen world that is cursed by God Himself, and we are all (every single one of us, no exceptions) sinners and rebels against God — what happened is we didn’t know when to wisely stop. We kept going. Now we have people who are desperately confused about their gender.

The causes for this are nearly as variable as the individuals who struggle. It could be like my story where I learned early that I was the targeted sexual abuse victim in my family by all members of that family save one. As a child, with limited understanding, I saw I was the only girl child and assumed it was happening because I was a girl. I used to pray that God would correct “his mistake”! The nerve! But I was 7 years old and without understanding.

The sad thing, as I see it, is that our culture, in it’s good-hearted effort to imitate love, has thrown it’s mind so far open as to actually begin losing, rather than gaining, wisdom.

The short answer (you’re probably thinking “Finally!”): NO. Gender is only a definition of which of the two sexes you were born as. However, personality and identity are so far beyond gender as to make them incompatible topics.

You would not define your entire identity on the color of your eyes would you?

If you need Scriptural back up:

Genesis 1:26-28
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”