Some church don't accept the gift of tongues, some people say tongues are strange. What do you think of it?

pray
Some church don't accept the gift of tongues, some people say tongues are strange. What do you think of it?
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007ff1dc8c8f18>

what’s your opinion about tongues?

Tongue is gift from above. I agree with Apostle Paul “Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.(1 Corinthians 14)”

But Paul also said, “1 Corinthians 14:18-19 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.” He didn’t encourage to speak in tongue in Church.

to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. --1Corin 12:10
Tongue is a kind of spiritual gift.
Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.–1 Corin 14:39
Apostle Paul’s attitude is do not forbid speaking in tongues.

Tongues are “foreign languages” to the speaker.

1 Corinthians 14:13-19 New International Version (NIV)
13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer, say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.
18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

In other words, in Paul’s own instruction about the use of tongues, understanding and comprehending what the person speaking in a tongue is actually saying is of vital importance. It is not secondary.

When the Apostles first spoke in tongues, it explains exactly what tongues actually are:

Acts 2:5-12 New International Version (NIV)

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

In other words, imagine a ton of translators, Chinese, Arabic, Greek, Somolian, English, German, French, Spanish, etc. all saying the same message at once. THAT is what happened when the gift of tongues was poured out.

I have not seen that yet, in 57 years. I am only one person. But I have never heard it as an actual human language. I have, however, heard mobs of people speaking jibberish together in crowds and calling that the gift of tongues. One is instructed in how to “do it” by being told to just babble like baby talk at first, so you can loosen up your tongue. This is not a LANGUAGE. It is a false gift, or better said, the gift is not being poured out now. For Paul did say that tongues would cease, prophecies would cease. I’m sure you don’t want another scripture, so I’ll stop there.

Speaking by tongues is good for our own faith. Sometimes by mind we can’t express ourselves so fully, but by tongues we communicate to God, and His Spirit will lead us into our deep being and we can come into deep prayer.
It is a gift from God. I encourage you to pray for this gift.